I had an urge to bake not long ago, dug through some old Pinterest pins, and found this recipe (which has step-by-step pictures as well) for chocolate cakes made in cupcake pans. Let me tell you, they were delicious. Super chocolatey but not super sweet. I loved them and will definitely make them again.
Chocolate molten cakes
recipe via Everyday Occasions
makes 6 medium or 12 small cakes
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 3/4 cup butter
- 12 oz chocolate chips (I used dark chocolate)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 5 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup flour
- Prepare cupcake pans by coating the inside of each with melted butter by swirling it around. Then sprinkle the insides with cocoa, coating completely.
- To make the batter, place chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl, then top it with butter and cream. Microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between, until the chocolate is smooth. When chocolate has cooled slightly, stir in eggs, sugar and flour. Pour into prepared cupcake pans. Refrigerate for 1 hour (at least) and up to a couple of days.
- Bake at 450 degrees F for 10 minutes for regular 12/pan size and 15-18 for jumbo 6/pan size, just until the outsides and most of the top have set and the centers are still slightly runny. You can insert the tip of a knife to test. You just want a bit of the very center to be a thick pudding-like texture. Let them cool for 5 minutes, then place a sheet pan on top of the muffin pan and invert them.
- Serve with whipped cream, ice cream, or dusted with chocolate or cinnamon.