Chef Meg’s Vegetarian Vindaloo
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 shallots (about 3/4 cup), chopped
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp yellow curry powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 28-oz. can fire-roasted diced tomatoes (fire-roasted tomatoes add a smoky flavor)
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 2 tsp ginger, grated
- 1 serrano chili pepper, diced (don’t remove seeds if you want additional heat)
- 2 sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1.5 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- brown rice or quinoa
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat, then add the oil. Add the shallots to the hot oil and saute for three minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the spices to the pan, stir, cook for one minute. Add 1 cup water to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, peppers, ginger, serrano and sweet potatoes to the pan, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the vinegar and water, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the lentils and cook another 15 minutes, until the lentils are tender.
- Serve warm over brown rice or quinoa (use package’s cooking instructions).