- 2 large shallots, peeled and minced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tsp minced thyme
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp minced rosemary
- 1 lb portobello mushrooms, stemmed and cut into large pieces
- 1 oz porcini mushrooms, soaked in 1 cup boiling water for 30 minutes
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 pound whole-grain fettuccine, cooked according to package directions, drained, and kept warm
- 1 cup tofu sour cream (recipe follows)
- chopped parsley
- Place the shallots in a large skillet and sauté over a medium heat for 8 minutes.
- Add water 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time to keep them from sticking.
- Add the garlic and thyme, and cook for another minute.
- Stir in the salt and pepper, rosemary, and the portobello mushrooms and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the porcini mushrooms, and their soaking liquid, and the wine.
- Stir, and cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
- When the stroganoff is finished cooking, stir in the sour cream.
- Add the cooked noodles and toss well.
- Serve garnished with the parsley.
Tofu sour cream
(Makes 1½ cups)
- 1 package extra firm lite silken tofu, drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth and creamy.
- Chill until ready to serve.
- Salt to taste.
Z didn’t use tofu sour cream when he made this dish but used store-bought sour cream instead. Obviously it’s not a vegan meal if you do that.