Peppers stuffed with spinach and feta
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 2 peppers
- 2-3 stalks of green onion, chopped
- 1/4 of an onion
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-4 handfuls of spinach or kale, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth (or water)
- 3/4 cup couscous
- 125 g feta
- black pepper
- Preheat oven to 175ºC.
- Slice the tops off the peppers and remove seeds and white membrane. Keep the pepper caps.
- In a sauté pan, heat the olive oil. Sauté the onions for 3-5 minutes. Once they are soft add the garlic and spinach. Sauté until the garlic is fragrant and some of the moisture from the spinach has evaporated.
- Add 1 cup of vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Add the couscous and remove from heat. Cover and allow couscous to absorb the liquid.
- Stir in 1/3 to 1/2 of the feta and season with black pepper. Add green onion.
- Fill the peppers with stuffing mixture and fix on the caps. Place on an oven-safe casserole dish or pan with at least a half-inch rim.
- Drizzle a little olive oil over the peppers and add remaining stock to bottom of pan.
- Bake the peppers for 30-45 minutes or until the peppers are cooked through and sufficiently tender. Monitor the liquid in the pan while cooking and add more stock if needed.
- Allow peppers to cool slightly in pan before serving. Serve on a plate sprinkled with remaining feta.
We usually have some extra stuffing mixture. We either eat this with the peppers or have it for lunch the next day. It makes a great lunch.